Dental Sealants Installation Procedure and Benefits
As a parent, maintaining your child’s oral health is of great importance. Poor oral health may lead to other health issues and is costly to treat. Cavities are perhaps the most common dental complications. Sometimes, flossing and brushing your teeth after meals may not be enough to keep cavities at bay, which creates the need for more effective ways to protect the teeth.
One way we at Empire Parkway Dental Group can help you accomplish this is by using dental sealants. A dental sealant is a coating placed on the chewing surface of your molars and premolars. This plastic coating covers the hidden spaces created by the large grooves and curves found on the back teeth’s chewing surface.
There are two main types of sealants. These are:
- Filled sealants – These are blends of resin, fillers, and chemicals.
- Unfilled sealants – They mainly constitute of resin and some fillers
Who Can Get Dental Sealants?
Dental sealants in Folsom are most effective when applied on teeth for children and teenagers aged 6 to 14 years. Ideally, dental sealants are supposed to protect the permanent back teeth. However, in some cases, parents may decide to use them to protect their children’s milk teeth.
Adults, too, can benefit from dental sealants. It is, however, not as effective or common as it is in children.
Dental sealants are easy and quick to apply. In a single appointment, lasting less than an hour, you can get your teeth fitted with dental sealants near you. The procedure is as follows:
- First, your dentist cleans your teeth thoroughly.
- After rinsing and drying them, a slightly acidic solution is put on your teeth. This solution roughens your teeth slightly to allow the sealants to bond more firmly with your teeth. The solution is then washed away, and your teeth dried once more.
- Finally, the dental sealant is applied on your tooth surface in liquid form then hardened with a special.
As you can see, you don’t need to change your entire schedule if you want to get dental sealants. It would be best if you made regular visits to your dentist for check-ups after getting dental sealants. Similarly, you must maintain general oral hygiene after the procedure to ensure the longevity of your dental sealants and for overall excellent dental health.
Benefits of Dental Sealants
If you are still not sure about getting dental sealants in Folsom, CA, let’s discuss some of the benefits you stand to enjoy if you opt for them:
- You are probably wondering if these products are durable. To your question, yes. Dental sealants are known to last for 5 to 10 years. However, their durability is dependent on how you care for them. You should maintain general oral hygiene and go for check-ups as per your dentist’s instructions to ascertain their durability.
- Another benefit is the procedure is quick and painless. You can proceed with your daily activities immediately after the application of dental sealants.
Dental sealants also protect your teeth from cavities by covering the chewing surface of your back teeth. This surface features large grooves and curves that are not easy to clean. With time, plaque accumulates in this area. Bacteria found in plaque release acid that erodes the enamel of your tooth, creating a cavity.
- Another great benefit of dental sealants is insurance usually covers the cost of the procedure, making it affordable.
- Since they are mostly white or colorless, sealants blend seamlessly with your teeth. You are not likely to notice them when speaking with a person having dental sealants. Your dentist can also quickly assess your tooth during check-ups, assuming your dental sealants are colorless.
- Also, dental sealants are easy to maintain and repair. If your sealants are chipped, your dentist will add more sealant to remedy the issue.
- Lastly, dental sealants are safe. Other than personal allergies, there are no side effects associated with getting dental sealants.
In conclusion, dental sealants are amazing dental products that protect your teeth from cavity. In case you are looking for a dental clinic that applies dental sealants in Folsom, CA, look no farther. At our clinic, you will enjoy exceptional services from our friendly staff members. Feel free to book an appointment with us today.